The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

On Monday, a thirty – eight year old woman was killed in one of Boston’s “big dig” tunnels. According to the Washington Post, at least 12 tons of concrete fell on the woman’s car. Her husband was driving and survived with minor injuries. The woman was seated on the passenger side and was crushed when the concrete collapsed. The couple had been on the way to the airport to pick up family members.

According to the Washington Post,

BOSTON — The head of the agency overseeing Boston’s Big Dig highway project ordered a review of the entire highway system Wednesday after inspectors looking into the fatal collapse of concrete ceiling slabs found 60 more questionable areas in the tunnel’s ceiling.

Initial inspections revealed dozens of signs of bolts loosening and other potential failures in the same connector tunnel, part of the main route to Boston’s Logan Airport, Turnpike Authority officials and the Big Dig project manager said.

Who is responsible when an accident like this happens? The attorney general in Boston stated that he will be treating the accident as potentially criminal, and looking into charges of criminal negligence.

In addition, there is speculation that the contractor did not provide the city with the services that were contracted for. The woman’s family also has a civil claim against the parties who are responsible for the failure. The woman’s family should contact a personal injury attorney immediately. A personal injury attorney will help them to determine which government entities as well as private contractors may be at fault for this horrific accident. The woman’s family can recover funds for the loss of their loved one. The woman’s children should be able to recover for the loss of their mother.

If you have been injured in a public area or by a construction company, you may have a civil claim against the entity. Contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation to see what your rights are.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest