Swedish Hospital employs a photographer trained in clinical photography. They also have a studio with professional lighting. The photography is done with a digital camera, and the photographs produced are high resolution images. However, not everyone has access to high end equipment or can afford to have their injuries documented by a professional photographer.
If you are injured by the negligence of another, you should document your injuries immediately. This means taking quality photographs.
1) make sure there is sufficient lighting
2) make sure to include overall shots so that scale can be observed
3) include rulers in your shots to show the size of an injury
4) include the uninjured appendage (show both hands, feet, legs, arms, etc.) so a comparison can be made
5) make sure you are wearing appropriate clothing (no distracting outfits, piercings, etc.)
You should not:
1) be embarrassed (it’s just like seeing a doctor, you are going to have to show people where the injury is)
2) try to enhance the injury – honesty is the best policy
3) look excessively happy or sad – just be yourself
Taking quality photographs of your injuries is a way to ensure that you will have proof of the extent of your injuries. Once you hire a personal injury attorney, they should be provided to your attorney immediately. These photographs can help your attorney negotiate your claim with the insurance company.